James 4:14

"Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away." James 4:14

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Your not in Kansas anymore....

You're in Nebraska! Pastor Daniel informed me the other day that the area we are in is mostly agriculture and it's very flat, like Nebraska he says. Anyway, it's very hard to give an update for the past week but I'll do the best I can.

First off, I am continually amazed at the godliness of some of the believers here. We've had great times worshiping together on Saturday evening and Sunday morning as well as fasting and praying on Friday. It was so cool to see the believers show up on Friday and pray all morning into the afternoon. It's obvious that they love the Lord. I've also been blessed by the family devotions we've had every night. I think sometimes in America we do some of these things just because we feel like we should or because that's what “good Christians” do. God has used the believers here to teach me that if we are consumed by a love for God, these things are a joy and it's not about whether I should or shouldn't. It's not about us at all. It's all about God. If our focus is on Him, we won't have time to think about ourselves. I also got to meet a spiritual giant named Tabita whose story is way to crazy to write in a letter, so you'll just have to wait till I get back to hear it. The short and skinny of it is that you need to pray for her husband to be saved.

I've been able to help the orphans with some of their homework in the evenings, but they have been gone since Thursday because there is a big Hindu holiday and they get 5 days off from school. Most of them went to be with relatives during this time. I asked Pastor Daniel why their relatives don't take them in and he explained that they can hardly take care of their own kids, so they can't support the orphans too. So the past several days have been fairly quiet around here.

We've gone to town a couple times which is always fun. One day we went to the fish market, but Daniel asked me beforehand if I had a strong stomach. Needless to say it smelled a little fishy. There's just no way to describe it. Lots of people and lots of fish and lots of bartering. I also bought a shirt in town. It took a couple different tries because most places didn't have my size. I finally found a shirt that fits perfect—XXL. Apparently I've put on a couple of pounds since being here. Just kidding. I guess I'm just an extra extra large Indian. So, aside from being a 6' tall white guy, I feel like I blend in pretty well. The first day we went to the Internet I was standing by Pastor Daniel waiting for him since my updates wouldn't work. I was wearing shorts (and no, I'm not the only person to wear shorts here. Just the only white guy to wear shorts, but I'm the only white guy in the town so it's okay). Anyway, there were three ladies who were leaving and as we were crowded by the door, one of them stooped down and felt my leg. Not sure if it's because it's white or because it's hairy....or maybe cause it's just so attractive...jk. I didn't want to embarrass her so I refrained from looking down, but I did laugh to myself, a lot.

Other than that, the days have seemed to be slow. This has also been great because it's given me the time to get more and more intimate with Jesus and press into Him. I'm learning that God often works in us before He works through us. Things picked up for me a little bit this weekend. I was asked to teach a story to the children for Sunday School which was wonderful and a lot of fun. Then Daniel told me that we would be visiting one of the church plants in a village on Monday and that I should prepare a message for that. This church was just starting a three day period of fasting and prayer. After the service, several of the people came up and wanted me to pray for them. Many of them had health problems.

Now, this part of the update is very hard for me to write simply because it can be taken in so many wrong ways. As I write this I am still debating whether or not to delete this paragraph. For now, I will include it and pray that it will be received in the right way. I include it because it is an issue that needs much prayer and I know some of you are standing firmly with me in your prayers. Okay, here goes.
After the service, one of the elderly women in this church came up and asked me to pray for her back. As I was praying for her, she suddenly grabbed my hand and pressed it to her face (my other hand was on her shoulder) and began yelling. At first I was startled and a chill went through me. Immediately I tightened my grip on her shoulder and knew I was in a battle and that I should pray against anything unclean in her. I prayed for this intensely while she was shouting. After a short time, she stopped yelling and went into soft crying and I finished praying. I asked Pastor Daniel about this in the car on the way back. He said that some people have unclean spirits in them but they think it's the Holy Spirit and that this lady is known for disrupting the peace in this church by breaking out in yelling and she says that she is speaking in tongues. It does not surprise me that demons would try to impersonate the Holy Spirit by giving people some “spiritual” experience. “No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds” (2 Corinthians 11:14-15). If Satan disguises himself, and false apostles disguise themselves, I don't doubt that demons follow this example. There is a great need for spiritual discernment. My fear is that some people may read this and be wowed by some “spiritual experience” that happened in India. Or..(I wish I didn't have to even mention this) but the terrible thought that some people may try to glorify me in some way. There is nothing here to glory about. This is incredibly sad and my heart is broken about this whole thing. I'm broken that this woman has this and that the enemy has created so much confusion and chaos. I pray for this lady, that the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard her heart and her mind in Christ Jesus. I would be here all day if I were to address every other wrong way I know this could be taken. I am not trying to make any point with this story or take any certain denominational stance, but I share it simply to ask for prayer. However you feel about it, please just pray that the love and light of Jesus would shine clearly in the midst of the darkness, confusion and chaos. I give this to God and trust Him to help it be received in the way it's intended.
Also, please be praying for me for Sunday. Pastor Daniel asked me if I would give the message. Pray that God would speak through me and show me what it is they need to hear. We will also be having a Gospel campaign in November with some guest speakers coming in. Pray for that as well.

“For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” Colossians 1:13-14

Pray for:
-Tabita's husband—that he would be saved.
-Discernment
-Gospel Campaign—that God would prepare the people's hearts. Also for the logistics.
-Sponsors for more orphans
-Me—that God would speak through me Sunday and that He would be glorified.

2 comments:

  1. We know you are in the midst of great spiritual warfare, and continue to pray for God's discernment for you and Pastor Daniel.
    Love you, Love you,
    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul!

    We've been praying for ya!

    I actually had a dream last night about the ministry there. Pastor Daniel was going through a very hard time, that he handled with amazing grace. Please tell him CARE is depositing a check to his account as soon as Becky gets it straightened out.

    We feel connected by your honest posts. Thanks for sharing. We'll continue to pray.

    Hugs from the Haugers

    ReplyDelete