James 4:14

"Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away." James 4:14

Monday, November 1, 2010

What the Portland?

Portland has been very nice the past couple of.....er...wait. Sorry, I got confused for a second. It's been raining continuously for the past several days. Personally, I don't mind it, but it's bad for the rice farmers here. It's harvest time, but they need dry ground to harvest and the rain has ruined some crops.

I've heard that some people are wondering how I'm doing with eating all the rice...well, I feel great and I'm not sick of it, so I'd say pretty good! The secret is to just find out, what I call, the right “spice-to-rice” ratio. I don't always know what I'm eating, but that's okay. Even though it's not what the passage is talking about, I've still found good advice in 1 Corinthians 10:27b “eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience' sake.”

Earlier in the week I traveled with Pastor Daniel to see his brother in law (also a pastor) in some village somewhere in India. As we passed through one of the villages along the way, there was a crowd of people in the road. As we crept through the crowd, we learned that there had just been an accident where two people were killed on the spot. These accidents seem to happen fairly often. A little later we came across a large truck that had rolled over. Finally, we arrived at our destination. Jaydodge (sp?) was very hospitable and kind. We ate some chili things and then some kind of dessert that's made from water-buffalo milk. They were both delicious. Anyways, as we were driving home at night, a policeman redirected us to a different road saying that the people had gone on strike where the accident had happened before. I guess the whole community comes out and won't let traffic through until they get the information or payment they want for their lost loved ones. This redirected traffic from the two way highway to a one way backroad that almost doubled our time getting home. It was crazy seeing buses and shipping trucks and everything trying to make room for each other on the small one lane road. This was actually a blessing though because it gave me some great time to talk with Pastor Daniel.

It's hard to explain what's going on with me spiritually. God has helped me realize more of what it means to abide in Christ. It's not any new feeling, but certainly a knowing. I know that I am in Christ and He is showing me what all that includes. For example, this week I was battling lots of thoughts about the future. I knew it didn't matter and knew I wanted to focus on the here and now but it seemed like I couldn't get rid of them. Then God gave me the realization that I'm IN Christ. I belong to God. That means my future also belongs to Him. Then I look to Him. Is He worried about my future? Haha, the thought of it just cracks me up. No way! So why should I be? That's just one area. This knowing of being in Christ goes in every other area as well. I can't explain it here, but if you really want to know about it you could just read “The Normal Christian Life” by Watchman Nee or “Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret,” or both of them. It's no coincidence that God had me read both of those back to back. It's just so incredible that I can't describe it. God is good!

Preaching was a joy on Sunday! It's a whole story in itself, but basically it's just awesome to trust God to speak and such a privilege to be here proclaiming the Good News of Jesus Christ.

“For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.” 1 Corinthians 15:3-5

Pray for:
-Tabita’s husband—salvation
-Sponsors for kids
-Gospel Campaign Nov. 12, 13, 14—hearts to be prepared

Praise for:
--Continued Health
--Spiritual Guidance and Opportunities

No comments:

Post a Comment